DOCTOR CARL-PETER HERBORT JR
After his medical education at the University of Lausanne, Dr Carl-Peter Herbort Jr did his specialty in ophthalmology at the University Service of Ophthalmology of the Jules-Gonin Ophthalmic Hospital in Lausanne. Then, his training was completed by 3 years of specialization abroad: in Tokyo, in San Francisco and at the National Institutes of Health (NIH) of the USA from 1986 to 1989. Since october 1989, he held the post of chief resident, then the duties of “médecin adjoint”, at the Jules-Gonin Ophthalmic Hospital before opening his ophthalmic center.
Training and specialization
Dr Carl-Peter Herbort Jr obtained his diploma in medicine at the Medical School of the University of Lausanne in 1979.
After a year as an assistant in surgery a the University Hospital of Lausanne and an other year in the Neuropathology Divison, he finished his specialty in ophthalmology at the University Service of Ophthalmology of the Jules-Gonin Ophthalmic Hospital in Lausanne (1982-1986).
In 1986, he got the title of Doctor in Medicine with his thesis on Corneal ocular Herpes and the title of FMH specialist in ophthalmology.
Three fellowship followed:
- fellowship in ocular inflammation in the Uveitis Section, Department of Ophthalmology at the National University of Tokyo, Japan (1986-1987) : research work in experimental uveitis in rats and on cornea transplant rejection and its treatment in rats.
- fellowship in uveitis and ocular adnexa diseases at the Proctor Foundation, University of California San Francisco (UCSF), San Francisco, California, USA (1987-1988): research work on herpetic ocular infection and its spread in mice, publication cited in the science and medicine part of the New York Times.
- fellowship in ocular immunology at the National Eye Institute (NEI), National Institutes of Health (NIH), Bethesda, Maryland, USA (1988-1989): continuation of research work and publication on experimental uveitis in rats and on cornea transplant rejection.
From 1990 to 1994, he becomes chief resident and in charge of uveitis and ocular adnexa diseases consultation at the Jules-Gonin Ophthalmic Hospital.
In 1994, he obtains the academic titles of Privat-docent (PD) and Senior Lecturer (Maître d’Enseignement et de Recherche or MER), at the University of Lausanne, Switzerland and his nomination as médecin adjoint at the Jules-Gonin Ophthalmic Hospital.
In 1995, Dr Carl-Peter Herbort Jr founded with three colleagues the COS (Centre Ophtalmologique de La Source) which will later become in 2008 the Center for Ophthalmic Specialized care (Centre d’Ophtalmologie Spécialisée or COS) now situated at the rue Charles-Monnard 6, 1003 Lausanne, Suisse.
Awards, professional recognitions, titles and international duties
- 1985: Chibret Price of Ophthalmology, Swiss Society of Ophthalmology (SSO)
- 1986: Grant-award by the Japanese Ministry of Education, fellowship at the University of Tokyo, Japan
- 1987: Grant-award by the Florian Verrey Foundation, fellowship at the University of California San Francisco (UCSF), San Francisco, California, USA
- 1988: Grant-award by the Swiss National Science Foundation (Fonds National Suisse or FNS), fellowship at the National Eye Institute (NEI), NIH, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
- 1990: Chibret Price of Ophthalmology, Swiss Society of Ophthalmology (SSO)
- 1991: Ophthalmology Poster Price, Swiss Society of Ophthalmology (SSO)
- 1999: Ophthalmology Poster Price, Swiss Society of Ophthalmology (SSO)
- 2000: Achievement Award, American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO) (first swiss ophtalmologist to receive this award)
- 2001: Ophthalmology Video Price, Swiss Society of Ophthalmology (SSO)
- depuis 2005: President, Society for d’Ophtalmo-Immuno-Infectiology in Europe (SOIE)
- 2005: Honorary member, Uveitis Society of India (USI)
- 2005-2014: Chief-editor, International Ophthalmology
- depuis 2005: Official Examiner, annual examination of European Board of Ophthalmology (EBO), Paris, France
- 2006: Invited Clinical Professor, Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Science, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Tokyo, Japan
- 2006-2011: Chair, Immunology and Microbiology Section, European Association for Vision and Eye Research (EVER)
- 2007: Invited Clinical Professor, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, India
- 2011-2012: Vice-president, European Association for Vision and Eye Research (EVER)
- 2012-2015: Visiting Professor, Tokyo Medical University, Tokyo, Japan
- 2015: Invited Keynote Speaker, 13th International Ocular Inflammation Society congress (IOIS), San Francisco, California, USA
- 2015: BenEzra Price (medal) awardee, 13th International Ocular Inflammation Society congress (IOIS), San Francisco, California, USA
- depuis 2017: Visiting Professor, Department of Ophthalmology, Pavlov University, Saint- Petersburg, Russie
- 2019: Medal of the 14th international congress of the Middle East and Africa Council of Ophthalmology (MEACO), Dead Sea, Jordania
- Fédération des médecins suisses (FMH), member, since 1980
- Swiss Society of Ophthalmology (SSO), member, since 1983
- Japanese Ophthalmological Society (NICHIGAN), member, 1990-2011
- American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO), member, since 1992
- International Ocular Inflammation Society (IOIS), founding member, since 1992
- American Uveitis Society (AUS), member, 1993-2014
- International Uveitis Study Group (IUSG), member and treasurer, 1994-2014
- Société d’Ophtalmo-Immuno-Infectiologie Francophone (SOIF), founding member and secretary general, since 1996
- Society for Ophthalmo-Immuno-Infectiology in Europe (SOIE), founding member and president, since 2005
- Uveitis Society of India (USI), honorary member, since 2005
- Fluorescence Angiography Club (FAN-club), member, since 2006
- Jules Gonin Club, member, since 2006
Teaching and Research
Dr Carl-Peter Herbort Jr has organized many classes or lectures in Switzerland or abroad:
- University of Lausanne, annual class of Privat-docent (PD)
- Swiss Ophthalmic Winter Seminar, founder, 1996-2009
- Société d’Ophtalmo-Immunoinfectiologie Francophone (SOIF), founding member and secretary general, classes on uveitis in collaboration with Professor Phuc Le Hoang in Paris (1997, 1998), Ghent (1999), La Martinique (1999), Institut Pasteur – Paris (2000), La Réunion (2000), Paris (2001), Paris (2002), Monastir (2002)
- Society for Ophthalmo-Immuno-Infectiology in Europe (SOIE), president, class on uveitis in Monte-Carlo (2006), Krakow (2007), Cappadocia (2008), Tozeur (2009), à Bad Blumau (2010), à Vilnius (2011), à San José (2013)
- 14th congress of the International Ocular Inflammation Society (IOIS), organizer (with SOIE), Lausanne, Suisse (2017)
Dr. Yannis Perentes
Dr. Nadia Bouchenaki
Dr. Aude Ambresin
Dr. Anne Desarnaulds
Dr. Tao Tran
Dr. Alain Castella
Dr. Caroline Rochat
Dr. Marina Lafranco
Dr. Philippe Othenin-Girard
Fellows and interns
- Luca Cimino, Italy (2000)
- Nilufer Yalcindag, Turkey (2008)
- Marina Papadia, Italy (2010)
- Tatiana Kuznetcova, Russia (2012)
- Pascal Bruno Knecht, Switzerland (2012)
- Ozlem Balci, Turkey (2016)
- Natalia Skvortsova, Russia (2016)
- Ala El Ameen, France (2017)
- Vania Lages, Portugal (2018)
The most productive fellow by far was doctor Marina Papadia (Italy) who published 13 articles as first author during several stays at the COS.
Conferences and International congresses
Internationally, Dr Carl-Peter Herbort Jr has given over 300 presentations in conferences and congresses, including major scientific events of the following organization: European Association for Vision and Eye Research (EVER), European Society of Ophthalmology (SOE), Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO), American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO).
He has organized classes, taught or has been invited as a speaker in many countries: Autria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Lithuania, Monaco, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom, Czechia,Turkey, Algeria, Egypt, Morocco, Tunisia, Bahreïn, Iran, Lebanon, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arabe Emirates (UAE), China, Hong-Kong, India, Japan, Singapore, Taïwan, South Korea, Argentina, Brazil, Chili, Canada, Costa Rica, La Martinique, La Réunion, United States of America (USA).
Dr Carl-Peter Herbort Jr has more than 250 publications in peer-reviewed journals.
List of most significant publications:
- Herbort CP, Okumura A, and Mochizuki M (1989) Immunopharmacological analysis of endotoxin-induced uveitis in the rat. Exp Eye Res 1989; 48:693-705.
- Herbort CP, Matsubara M, Nishi M, and Mochizuki M (1989) Penetrating keratoplasty in the rat : a model for the study of immunosuppressive treatment of graft rejection. Jpn J Ophthalmol 1989; 33:212-220.
- Herbort CP, Weissman SS, and Payan DG (1989) Role of peptidergic neurons in ocular herpes simplex infection in mice. FASEB J. 1989; 3:2537-2541.
- Herbort CP, Büchi ER, Piguet B, Zografos L and Fitting P (1991) High dose oral acyclovir in acute herpes zoster ophthalmicus. The end of the corticosteroid era. Curr Eye Res (Suppl.) 10:171-175.
- Herbort CP, deSmet MD, Roberge F, Nussenblatt RB, FitzGerald D, Lorberboum-Galski H and Pastan I (1991) Treatment of corneal allograft rejection with the cytotoxin IL-2-PE40. Transplantation 1991; 52:470-474.
- Herbort CP, Guex-Crosier Y, de Ancos E, Pittet N (1997) Use of laser flare photometry (LFP) to assess and monitor inflammation in uveitis. Ophthalmology 1997; 104:64-72.
- Herbort CP, LeHoang P, Guex-Crosier Y (1998) Schematic indocyanine green angiographic protocol for the evaluation of posterior uveitis. Ophthalmology 1998; 105:432-440.
- Herbort CP (1998) Posterior uveitis: new insights provided by indocyanine green angiography. Eye 1998; 12:757-59.
- Bouchenaki N, Herbort CP (2001) The contribution of indocyanine green angiography to the appraisal and management of Vogt-Koyanagi-Harada disease : Ophthalmology 2001; 108:54-64.
- Herbort CP, Cimino L, Abu El Asrar A (2005) Ocular vasculitis : a multidisciplinary approach. Curr. Opin Rheumatol 2005; 17: 25-33.
- Herbort CP, Khairallah M (2010) Editorial : Fuchs’ uveitis, from imperial Vienna to global appraisal. Int Ophthalmol 2010; 30 449-52.
- Herbort CP, Tugal-Tutkun I (2010) Editorial: Laser flare (cell) photometry, 20 years already. Int Ophthalmol 2010; 30:445-7.
- Herbort CP Jr, Neri P, Abu El Asrar A, et al. (2012) Is ICGA still relevant in inflammatory eye disorders? Why this question has to be dealt with seperatly from other eye conditions. Retina 2012; 1701-3 (Editorial).
List of recent publications:
- Papasavvas I, Teuchner B, Herbort CP Jr. Susac syndrome (Retino-cochleo-cerebral vasculitis), the ophthalmologist in the role of the whistleblower. J Ophthalmic Inflamm Infect. 2020 Oct 30;10(1):27. doi: 10.1186/s12348-020-00217
- Herbort CP Jr, Tugal-Tutkun I, Mantovani A, Neri P, Khairallah M, Papasavvas I.Advances and potential new developments in imaging techniques for posterior uveitis Part 2: invasive imaging methods. Eye (Lond). 2021 Jan;35(1):52-73. doi: 10.1038/s41433-020-1072-0. Epub 2020 Aug 10
- Herbort CP Jr, Tugal-Tutkun I, Khairallah M, Abu El Asrar A, Pavésio CE, Soheilian M (2020) Vogt-Koyanagi-Harada disease: recurrence rates after initial-onset disease differ according to treatment modality and geographic area. Int Ophthalmol 2020; May16. doi:10.1007/s10792-020-01417-1. Online ahead of print.
- Lages V, Mantovani A, Papadia M, Herbort CP Jr (2018) MEWDS is a true primary choriocapillaritis and basic mechanisms do not seem to differ from other choriocapillaritis entities. J Curr Ophthalmol 2018; 30:281-6.
- Herbort CP Jr, Abu El Asrar AM, Takeuchi M, Pavésio CE, Couto C, Hedayatfar A, Maruyama K, Rao X, Silpa-Archa S, Somkijrungroj T (2019) Catching the therapeutic window of opportunity in early initial-onset Vogt-Koyanagi-Harada uveitis can cure the disease. Int Ophthalmol 2019; 39:1419-1425.
- Herbort CP Jr, Pavésio CE, LeHoang P, Bodaghi B, Fardeau C, Kestelyn, Neri P, Papadia M (2017) Why birdshot retinochoroiditis should rather be called “HLA-A29 uveitis”. Br J Ophthalmol 2017; 101:851-55.
- Uveitis Textbook : Uveitis, Text & Imaging, Gupta A, Gupta V, Herbort CP, Khairallah M (Editors), Jaypee brothers, Dehli, 2009
- More than 20 chapters in various uveitis manuals